Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default car auxhilliary heater

In article ,
Peter Hill wrote:
On 24/11/2014 19:03, Tim Watts wrote:
On 24/11/14 18:09, GB wrote:
On 24/11/2014 17:27, sm_jamieson wrote:
This year we have a little one to take to the child minders so hectic
mornings, and I have a diesel car which is slower to heat up than a
petrol car. So I was thinking of some type of auxhilliary heater that
can get things going. Any recommendations? - most of the 12V lighter
socket ones seem to have poor reviews.
Simon.

*Most* of the 12v lighter ones have poor reviews? Why only most? A
lighter socket can provide say 60w. It's like ****ing in the ocean.

Are you thinking of running a mains lead out to the car? Then, in
principle, any small heater with a thermostat will do the job, if left
on for an hour or two. The main problem will be stopping hot bits
melting the plastics in the car.

If you were doing the latter, might as well go the whole hog and have an
engine pre heater installed like the canadians often do. What you spend
on the setup might be paid back in part by better fuel economy and less
engine wear.

Some Scottish cars have them fitted by dealers up there.

having spent a night in Deeside when the temperature dropped to -10°C, I
can well understand why.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18