Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband HerHusband is offline

Default Backup for Well Water During Power Outages

One easy option would be to adjust the kick in pressure on your 80
tank so that it doesn't get as low before it kicks on. That should
give you a min of 20 gallons to work with.

Interesting idea, but it would make the pump run more frequently
(shortening it's life). I don't know if there would be any other side
effects.

Or add that second tank in series, so that it's always full of water, no
air. If power goes out, you'd only have pressurized water for
about as long as you do now. But you could still draw X gallons,
X being the size of the additional tank into buckets.

We sort of have that situation now. Even when the tank is empty, we still
have whatever water is in the 150+ 1" pipe running from the well to the
house. The pressure tank sits 10-15 feet higher than the house, so it still
flows (slowly) into the house. It's usually good for 4-5 toilet flushes
even once the tank is empty.

I'd just get a generator, because not only can it supply water,
but it can keep the heat, lights, fridge, etc going too.

The well and house are on two separate power supplies. Unless I want to
move the generator back and forth, it wouldn't be very convenient. Not to
mention having to rewire the house circuits.

I'm fine going without power for a day or two, but it's harder to do
without water.

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com