Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband HerHusband is offline

Default Backup for Well Water During Power Outages

We keep a 50 gallon potable water storage tank in the garage along
with a couple of filled 8 gallon jerry cans. Add a small amount of
chlorine per EPA guidelines and storage isn't an issue.

I don't really have the space for a 50 gallon tank. I think several 5-10
gallon containers would be more doable. Those would at least fit in the
garage attic.

We have an advanced septic system with pumps and an air compressor.

Thankfully, ours is a regular gravity feed system. No power needed.

An inverter/battery/charger based system is going to be expensive to
get any kind of wattage/duration.

All I was really hoping for is a single recharge of the 80 gallon pressure
tank. If the power is out much longer than that, I would probably look for
other options (motel, etc.).

The 1/2 HP pump doesn't need much power, but as you said the startup surge
can be three times that, increasing the size of the inverter or generator
needed.

Make sure you get a transfer switch wired into your house.

Our pump is in a well house that has it's own power supply (not connected
to the house). I already wired the pump with a plug I can unplug from the
wall and plug into another power source. All I need is the other power
source.

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com