Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul Drahn Paul Drahn is offline

Default Backup for Well Water During Power Outages

On 11/28/2014 10:00 AM, HerHusband wrote:

We have a large pressure tank (80 gallon I believe). If the power goes
out when the tank is full, we're fine. 80 gallons will flush a lot of
toilets. Unfortunately, the tank is rarely completely full when the power
goes out and this last time it was nearly empty when we lost power.

I've thought about adding a second pressure tank, but there's no way I
can think of to ensure one is always fully pressurized (short of filling
it up and shutting the valve off. I am trying to avoid stagnant water).
Odds are both tanks would be just about empty when the power goes out.

You had better hope your pressure tank DOESN'T fill up. That would mean
it has an air leak and your well pump would run continuously.

When our well pump died several years ago, we bought a bunch of 5 gallon
plastic water cans to supplement the one can we had for camping trips.
Took to neighbors and filled them.

Your daughter can fill a kitchen pot from the water can and dump into
the toilet tank. Sure, takes more time.

If the road to a neighbor with power is open, make a deal with them to
fill you cans. You do have a pickup, don't you?

If the water is stored in the dark and kept cool, it should last as long
as the winter storms are possible. then dump and refill at the beginning
of next winter.

Your outages can't be as long as we had in Issaquah, Wa in 1994. More
than a week.

Paul, in Central Oregon