Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Baron[_4_] Baron[_4_] is offline

Default Circular saw blade for cutting aluminum?

John Doe prodded the keyboard

As suggested long ago, a carbide tipped saw blade cuts neatly
through aluminum. But the ~40 teeth stock blade on my miter saw
throws aluminum chips everywhere. I've tried some modifications to
catch the aluminum chips but none work very well. As mentioned, I
tried using a DeWalt cutoff wheel but apparently that doesn't work
for cutting aluminum.

Will a finer tooth (more teeth) carbide tipped blade tend to throw
the chips backwards the way they're supposed to go?

Other options for neatly cutting aluminum with a 10 inch miter saw?

Thanks.

FWIW I use a 10" inch, 140 tooth HSS blade for cutting tube and a 10"
inch, 80 tooth TCT blade for solid sections. I also use wax
lubricant to prevent blade grab in solids. People swear by WD40, but
it is no good for solids. It evaporates far too quickly to do any
good.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.