Posted to uk.d-i-y
LumpHammer LumpHammer is offline

Default OT? Security cameras

On 23/11/2014 20:28, wrote:
Hi All

I am now thinking about installing external security cameras. I would rather integrate these with my existing setup and instead of having a proprietary box to manage the cameras and store the video, I would rather them stream to a standard file on a PC. I originally thought about IP cameras but outdoor ones seem very expensive (around £200).

Does anyone have experience with connecting coax type ones to a PC? Could a tuner card read the info?

Thanks

Lee.

I reckon IP cameras, possibly usinbg using Wifi or Homeplug for
communication, are the way to go, for image quality and placement
flexibility.

In my experience, analogue cameras don't give good picture quality once
they've been though the digitisation stage. Cable lengths and connector
quality can also be an issue.

Outdoor IP cameras do tend to be expensive, but could you use indoor
ones pointing out of windows in some cases?