Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT? Security cameras

Hi All

I am now thinking about installing external security cameras. I would rather integrate these with my existing setup and instead of having a proprietary box to manage the cameras and store the video, I would rather them stream to a standard file on a PC. I originally thought about IP cameras but outdoor ones seem very expensive (around £200).

Does anyone have experience with connecting coax type ones to a PC? Could a tuner card read the info?

Thanks

Lee.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, November 23, 2014 8:28:07 PM UTC, wrote:
Does anyone have experience with connecting coax type ones to a PC?
Could a tuner card read the info?

You would use a video capture card not a TV tuner card.

USB and internal (PCI) cards are available with a number of inputs.

Consider the power running costs and stability of a standard PC running 24/7 for video capture. IP cameras may be more expensive but often have significantly higher resolution and on-board storage (where available) means they don't need a DVR.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 08:45:48 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

I imagine the coax connection is either going to be data or composite
video.
Brian

Look at zoneminder

http://www.zoneminder.com/

http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.php/Documentation#Tutorial

Avpx
--
We only remembers that the elves sang. We forgets what it was
they were singing about.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Have you considered SDI cameras?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, November 23, 2014 8:28:07 PM UTC, wrote:
Hi All

I am now thinking about installing external security cameras. I would rather integrate these with my existing setup and instead of having a proprietary box to manage the cameras and store the video, I would rather them stream to a standard file on a PC. I originally thought about IP cameras but outdoor ones seem very expensive (around £200).

Does anyone have experience with connecting coax type ones to a PC? Could a tuner card read the info?

Thanks

Lee.

Thinking of upgrading current analogue cams and DVR to IP cams, resolution is always a problem with analogue cams. Running a PC to record a few cams is a power drain and liable to stability issues.

Current set up is run in CAT5 with baluns , replacement will be IP cams POE switch and Network Video Recorder NVR, just plug into existing cabling.

IP cams are getting cheaper every day:

http://www.banggood.com/buy/Escam.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

/My 5M pixel ones cost ~£70.
The 1 Mpixel ones cost ~£30.

SC2k.com /q

Mmm honk Kong site, prices in USD, which ones have you got ?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/11/2014 21:25, JimK wrote:
/My 5M pixel ones cost ~£70.
The 1 Mpixel ones cost ~£30.

SC2k.com /q

Mmm honk Kong site, prices in USD, which ones have you got ?

Jim K

http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...20m-ONVIF.html
http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...IF-iPhone.html
Plus some others.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

/Dennis@home
http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...20m-ONVIF.html
http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...IF-iPhone.html
Plus some others/q

Mmm the 5m is $128 plus shipping & applicable UK import duty & vat.... Seems things have gone up since you purchased?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/11/2014 22:09, JimK wrote:
/Dennis@home - show quoted text -
http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...20m-ONVIF.html

http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...IF-iPhone.html
Plus some others/q

Mmm the 5m is $128 plus shipping & applicable UK import duty &
vat.... Seems things have gone up since you purchased?

Jim K

Yes.
I got the last one from the German warehouse so there is no duty or VAT
to pay when it arrives.
I wasn't charged for the ones from HK either.