Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default sorta-OT Small Engine stalling

On Sun, 23 Nov 2014 18:27:08 -0500, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:

On Wed, 19 Nov 2014 15:22:44 -0800 (PST), the renowned Jim Hornaday
wrote:

On Tuesday, November 18, 2014 7:56:48 PM UTC-5, phorbin wrote:
In article ,
what says...
Hi, guys:-

I have a relativley new Husqvarna 130BT 29.5 cc 2-stroke backpack leaf
blower and it has a stalling problem- runs for some time (maybe 30
seconds or maybe 5 minutes) then slows down and (usually) stalls or
sometimes speeds up again. It pretty much restarts immediately with a
pull. Fresh gas properly mixed with 2-stroke oil 50:1 as recommended.

Cleaned the gasoline pickup, tried loosening the gas cap in case the
vent was plugged.

Any ideas?

Total novice here but the symptoms sound pretty close to what happend with my
chainsaw earlier this year.

Does it have a spark arrestor and if it does, is the spark arrestor clogged
with carbon?

---

Spark arrestor, seconded.

Jim H.

Okay, I burned off the spark arrestor with propane torch (it was about
15% fouled), disassembled and cleaned every bit of the carburetor, and
replaced the fuel with Shell's best grade with 0% ethanol (and 1:50
2-stroke oil, of course) and cleaned the fuel filter again and it runs
like a top. The choke even does sensible things again. Thanks, all.

Goodonya, mate. It's too bad, though, that you didn't think to try
running it in between each process to figure out which was the true
culprit.

Chances are high that it was the carb, but I really like to know those
things with my own equipment, knowwhatImean,Vern? It can save time
the next time around.

--
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force.
Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."