Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default sorta-OT Small Engine stalling

Hi, guys:-

I have a relativley new Husqvarna 130BT 29.5 cc 2-stroke backpack leaf
blower and it has a stalling problem- runs for some time (maybe 30
seconds or maybe 5 minutes) then slows down and (usually) stalls or
sometimes speeds up again. It pretty much restarts immediately with a
pull. Fresh gas properly mixed with 2-stroke oil 50:1 as recommended.

Cleaned the gasoline pickup, tried loosening the gas cap in case the
vent was plugged.

Any ideas?

http://images.lowes.com/product/conv...88505029lg.jpg

There's apparently no manual choke (the usual primer bulb) but a lever
that has open and closed on it- it really only runs continuously in
one position (and the compression seems to be gone in other position).
The manual (such as it is- it covers three models) is silent on what
should be done with it.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 15 Nov 2014 23:45:34 -0500, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:

Hi, guys:-

I have a relativley new Husqvarna 130BT 29.5 cc 2-stroke backpack leaf
blower and it has a stalling problem- runs for some time (maybe 30
seconds or maybe 5 minutes) then slows down and (usually) stalls or
sometimes speeds up again. It pretty much restarts immediately with a
pull. Fresh gas properly mixed with 2-stroke oil 50:1 as recommended.

Cleaned the gasoline pickup, tried loosening the gas cap in case the
vent was plugged.

It certainly points to a plugged vent condition. Are you sure you
loosened the cap enough to clearly vent the tank?

Any ideas?

http://images.lowes.com/product/conv...88505029lg.jpg

There's apparently no manual choke (the usual primer bulb) but a lever
that has open and closed on it- it really only runs continuously in
one position (and the compression seems to be gone in other position).
The manual (such as it is- it covers three models) is silent on what
should be done with it.

Loose carburetor screws might cause that. The flange could warp as
the engine warms and cause a lean mixture and stall.

--
I started out with nothing and
I still have most of it left!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I had this problem twice occuring to a 4 stroke Ryobi weed eater. The
problem was in the carb. In both cases I carefully took apart and
cleaned the carb using the carb cleaner that comes in a spray can and
has that litle red tube that is really good for blasting the cleaner
through tiny passages. When I looked at the carb internals I could not
see where or what the contamination was except that there was a sort
of brownish residue coating various parts of the internals. All I know
for sure is that in both cases the thing would start losing power and
then die. I could do the restart thing a few times but then the
engines would only idle, and would die as soon as I pulled the
throttle trigger.
Eric
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Eric & Larry-

I was afraid of that. Bad memories from working on lawnmowers. I'll
take the carb apart and blast it with carb cleaner, prob next weekend.
New carbs are too pricey to consider ($130+ with shipping).

Does it pump gas through the black hose (with filter attached) and
return unused fuel through the clear hose that's just hanging in the
tank?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

That's the way most of them work . I've had pretty good luck finding
replacement carbs on ebay for my small engines at around 20 bucks or so .
Looked for yours , found only complete blower units and a couple of carb
kits plus some misc parts .
Before I took anything apart though I'd run some seafoam or B12 chemtool
thru it . Sounds to me like intermittent plugging from gunk getting loose in
the passages .
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

Hi, guys:-

I have a relativley new Husqvarna 130BT 29.5 cc 2-stroke backpack leaf
blower and it has a stalling problem- runs for some time (maybe 30
seconds or maybe 5 minutes) then slows down and (usually) stalls or
sometimes speeds up again. It pretty much restarts immediately with a
pull.

snip

We have mud dauber wasps around. They like to build their mud-nests in
the exhaust, plugging it quite effectively. I tore the carburetor apart
and cleaned it twice before it finally dawned on me that it didn't
sound right when it did run. Felt really stupid when I spotted the
mud-dauber nest. Poked it out with a screw driver. Got so I would leave
something stuck in the exhaust port so they couldn't build a nest
there.

Just something else to look for...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 16 Nov 2014 15:48:40 -0400
Leon Fisk wrote:

Nice write up here on those little carbs:

http://www.baja5b.lv/wp-content/uplo...r%20Theory.pdf

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 16 Nov 2014 13:06:26 -0600, the renowned "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

That's the way most of them work . I've had pretty good luck finding
replacement carbs on ebay for my small engines at around 20 bucks or so .
Looked for yours , found only complete blower units and a couple of carb
kits plus some misc parts .
Before I took anything apart though I'd run some seafoam or B12 chemtool
thru it . Sounds to me like intermittent plugging from gunk getting loose in
the passages .
--
Snag

Hey, great idea Snag, I have a can of seafoam on the shelf.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leon Fisk wrote:

Nice write up here on those little carbs:

http://www.baja5b.lv/wp-content/uplo...r%20Theory.pdf

Thanks, Leon. I'll read that before ripping it apart if it comes to
that. Found an exploded diagram for P/N 504116101

http://images.partstree.com/?l=husqv...6\18\0010&z=40

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

If you really don't want to mess with it you could take it to a small
engine repair place. Surely there's someone up there in the wilds of
Canada that would do such work.

(We have two local places around here that are both excellent -- so I'm
spoiled).

--
www.wescottdesign.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Be sure to look at the gasket to see if it shows any signs of dirt
being sucked in past any portions of it. Note if either of the screws
was loose, too. G'luck!

New carbs are too pricey to consider ($130+ with shipping).

Indeed.

Does it pump gas through the black hose (with filter attached) and
return unused fuel through the clear hose that's just hanging in the
tank?

Yup.

--
I started out with nothing and
I still have most of it left!
--anon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Through the years I've gotten away from ethanol for mowers and 2 stroke tools....anything that may sit for extended periods. Some of the stations sell 100% gas for a premium. Others I know use additives to overcome ethanol use. I've had the fuel and return lines deteriorate thru time to the extent the intank filter came loose from the line. A severe crack or break is pretty evident...a smaller one could cause the intermittent problems you describe.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Zima carb? I think there is a replacement made by somebody else that is
much better. I hear nothing good about Zimas.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have a relativley new Husqvarna 130BT 29.5 cc 2-stroke backpack leaf
blower and it has a stalling problem- runs for some time (maybe 30
seconds or maybe 5 minutes) then slows down and (usually) stalls or
sometimes speeds up again. It pretty much restarts immediately with a
pull. Fresh gas properly mixed with 2-stroke oil 50:1 as recommended.

Cleaned the gasoline pickup, tried loosening the gas cap in case the
vent was plugged.

Any ideas?

A lot of the small 2-strokes use pressurized tanks, so loosening the cap
is the wrong strategy with them.

Those that work that way often have a diaphragm pump that keeps the
pressure on the fuel; sometimes part of (or at least acting as a base
for) the carb. A sticky ball valve in that pump could cause what you're
seeing. Some use flapper valves -- more likely to fail sooner and
outright, but less likely to stick.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 19 Nov 2014 15:22:44 -0800 (PST), the renowned Jim Hornaday
wrote:

On Tuesday, November 18, 2014 7:56:48 PM UTC-5, phorbin wrote:
In article ,
what says...
Hi, guys:-

I have a relativley new Husqvarna 130BT 29.5 cc 2-stroke backpack leaf
blower and it has a stalling problem- runs for some time (maybe 30
seconds or maybe 5 minutes) then slows down and (usually) stalls or
sometimes speeds up again. It pretty much restarts immediately with a
pull. Fresh gas properly mixed with 2-stroke oil 50:1 as recommended.

Cleaned the gasoline pickup, tried loosening the gas cap in case the
vent was plugged.

Any ideas?

Total novice here but the symptoms sound pretty close to what happend with my
chainsaw earlier this year.

Does it have a spark arrestor and if it does, is the spark arrestor clogged
with carbon?

---

Spark arrestor, seconded.

Jim H.

Okay, I burned off the spark arrestor with propane torch (it was about
15% fouled), disassembled and cleaned every bit of the carburetor, and
replaced the fuel with Shell's best grade with 0% ethanol (and 1:50
2-stroke oil, of course) and cleaned the fuel filter again and it runs
like a top. The choke even does sensible things again. Thanks, all.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message

Okay, I burned off the spark arrestor with propane torch (it was
about
15% fouled), disassembled and cleaned every bit of the carburetor,
and
replaced the fuel with Shell's best grade with 0% ethanol (and 1:50
2-stroke oil, of course) and cleaned the fuel filter again and it
runs
like a top. The choke even does sensible things again. Thanks, all.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

A fair percentage of the time disassembling and blowing out the carb
solves problems even though I don't find a visible fault. A few times
I've found gelled gasoline clogging the main jet.
http://www.beginnerbikers.org/showth...elled-gasoline

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Goodonya, mate. It's too bad, though, that you didn't think to try
running it in between each process to figure out which was the true
culprit.

Chances are high that it was the carb, but I really like to know those
things with my own equipment, knowwhatImean,Vern? It can save time
the next time around.

--
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force.
Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 23 Nov 2014 18:17:36 -0800, the renowned Larry Jaques
wrote:

Goodonya, mate. It's too bad, though, that you didn't think to try
running it in between each process to figure out which was the true
culprit.

Chances are high that it was the carb, but I really like to know those
things with my own equipment, knowwhatImean,Vern? It can save time
the next time around.

Larry, I actually did between several of the processes, but it was not
definitive- some things *changed* for the better but didn't fix the
problem 100% until I got to the end.

Next time if it acts up similarly I will follow this sequence:

1. Clean/replace fuel filter (and fresh fuel with 0% ethanol if
there's any question)

2. Check/clean air filter and spark arrestor (they're both easy and
fast)

3. Disassemble and clean carb completely (replace gaskets and
perhaps check valves if old)

(of course if it had seen a lot of use, I'd check the spark plug too
and check fuel lines for cracks etc.)

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Goodonya, mate. It's too bad, though, that you didn't think to try
running it in between each process to figure out which was the true
culprit.

Chances are high that it was the carb, but I really like to know those
things with my own equipment, knowwhatImean,Vern? It can save time
the next time around.

Larry, I actually did between several of the processes,

Oh, good.

but it was not
definitive- some things *changed* for the better but didn't fix the
problem 100% until I got to the end.

Yeah, that points to lots of things contributing to the poor running,
but it sounds like the major contributor was a clogged carb.

Next time if it acts up similarly I will follow this sequence:

1. Clean/replace fuel filter (and fresh fuel with 0% ethanol if
there's any question)

2. Check/clean air filter and spark arrestor (they're both easy and
fast)

3. Disassemble and clean carb completely (replace gaskets and
perhaps check valves if old)

(of course if it had seen a lot of use, I'd check the spark plug too
and check fuel lines for cracks etc.)

Excellent list.

--
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force.
Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
--George Washington
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 23 Nov 2014 18:54:24 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message
.. .

Okay, I burned off the spark arrestor with propane torch (it was
about
15% fouled), disassembled and cleaned every bit of the carburetor,
and
replaced the fuel with Shell's best grade with 0% ethanol (and 1:50
2-stroke oil, of course) and cleaned the fuel filter again and it
runs
like a top. The choke even does sensible things again. Thanks, all.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

A fair percentage of the time disassembling and blowing out the carb
solves problems even though I don't find a visible fault. A few times
I've found gelled gasoline clogging the main jet.
http://www.beginnerbikers.org/showth...elled-gasoline

-jsw

All the more reason to put the ethanol into people and keep it out of
small engines!
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada