Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics

Default Automation Makes Us Dumb

mike wrote:

This is not a new phenomenon.
40 years ago, when I was doing college recruiting for engineers,
you'd see kids with a 4.0 GPA and skill solving equations,
but not even a tiny clue about what to use 'em on.
No creative ability.
No ability to associate or extrapolate.
Can't even bias a transistor.
Impressive-looking senior project, but couldn't answer the
simplest questions about what was really going on.

40 years ago I was trying to teach EE students real world
Electronics. They could give me 50 reasons why something wasn't designed
for optimum performance, but they couldn't troubleshoot a five tube
table radio or a common car radio design. I had one idiot ranting that
they should use 1% resistors in the audio stages of a walkie talkie.
It's amazing the number of students who had never heard of anything
higher than 5% resistors, and the concept of 50% tolerance had them
foaming at the mouth. They were freaking that electrolytics were
-20/+80% tolerance, as well.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.