Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default Antique pressure gauge

On Sun, 23 Nov 2014 09:49:32 -0800, Larry Jaques wrote:

On Sun, 23 Nov 2014 09:03:27 -0600, Ignoramus27433
wrote:

I put this 8 1/2 pressure gauge on my compressed air system:

http://www.machinerymoverschicago.co...ressure-Gauge/

It looks awesome and can be easily seen from afar.

Now I am beginning to worry that I put it in the wrong place. It is fed
by an air line right next to the output of the pump. Because of this,
when the pump runs, the gauge fluctuates a bit as the air "puffs" in the
line, and I am afraid that the mount of the needle was not designed for
that and it will fail after a few months.

Is this a valid concern and should I connect it to something other place
in the tank, where the pressure is more stable?

Yes, that's a valid concern. Is there another plugged boss where you
could mount it in the tank rather than at the compressor outlet? Many
tanks have multiple bosses for running the piping from a different
direction. Or insert it above the union on the tank outlet plumbing at
the right.

If that won't work out, you can make a pneumatic low-pass filter. Just
put a restriction of some sort (I was thinking of some purpose-made gizmo
with a small orifice, but just a valve will do -- crack it barely open
and leave it), then a couple of feet of largish-diameter (1"?) pipe, then
your gauge.

Fast variations will be lost, but slow variations will register. If you
do it with a valve, you can adjust the tracking speed by opening or
closing the valve.

(Larry's idea is better, if it works).

--
www.wescottdesign.com