Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Antique pressure gauge

I put this 8 1/2 pressure gauge on my compressed air system:

http://www.machinerymoverschicago.co...ressure-Gauge/

It looks awesome and can be easily seen from afar.

Now I am beginning to worry that I put it in the wrong place. It is
fed by an air line right next to the output of the pump. Because of
this, when the pump runs, the gauge fluctuates a bit as the air
"puffs" in the line, and I am afraid that the mount of the needle was
not designed for that and it will fail after a few months.

Is this a valid concern and should I connect it to something other
place in the tank, where the pressure is more stable?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

That is a cool gauge! And if it were mine, I would certainly plumb it
into my system. I agree about the danger in its twitching - it would be
shame to have the needle loosen.

Now, about the structure that the aux tank sits on: I am not a cautious
person, at all, but I think that it should have a couple of diagonal
braces. Not that I don't trust your welds, it would just be prudent.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus27433" wrote in
message ...
I put this 8 1/2 pressure gauge on my compressed air system:

http://www.machinerymoverschicago.co...ressure-Gauge/

It looks awesome and can be easily seen from afar.

Now I am beginning to worry that I put it in the wrong place. It is
fed by an air line right next to the output of the pump. Because of
this, when the pump runs, the gauge fluctuates a bit as the air
"puffs" in the line, and I am afraid that the mount of the needle
was
not designed for that and it will fail after a few months.

Is this a valid concern and should I connect it to something other
place in the tank, where the pressure is more stable?

The glycerin-filled gauge on my log splitter pump jumped its gearing,
possibly from vibration as the relief setting isn't much over half
scale on it.

Your gauge may have internal threads for a "pressure snubber" screw or
you could add one in line.
http://www.amazon.com/Trerice-872-2-...essure+snubber

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-11-23, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
That is a cool gauge! And if it were mine, I would certainly plumb it
into my system. I agree about the danger in its twitching - it would be
shame to have the needle loosen.

Now, about the structure that the aux tank sits on: I am not a cautious
person, at all, but I think that it should have a couple of diagonal
braces. Not that I don't trust your welds, it would just be prudent.

Bob, it has some reinforcement braces near the floor, you do not see
them on the picture. It is sturdy enough.

I will re-plumb the gauge into the tank directly. It looks like we
both agree on that. It was a mistake to plumb it near the output.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-11-23, Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Ignoramus27433" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Thanks, Jim, you are the third person who shares this concern, I will
do one thing or another, add a snubber or hook up somewhere else.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-11-23, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
That is a cool gauge! And if it were mine, I would certainly plumb
it into my system. I agree about the danger in its twitching - it
would be shame to have the needle loosen.

Now, about the structure that the aux tank sits on: I am not a
cautious person, at all, but I think that it should have a couple of
diagonal braces. Not that I don't trust your welds, it would just
be prudent.

Bob, it has some reinforcement braces near the floor, you do not see
them on the picture. It is sturdy enough.

I will re-plumb the gauge into the tank directly. It looks like we
both agree on that. It was a mistake to plumb it near the output.

If you plumbed in an orifice followed by a small tank to absorb the
remaining impulses you could leave it there . Or for that matter a larger
diameter line to the gauge might be enough .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 23 Nov 2014 09:03:27 -0600, Ignoramus27433
wrote:

I put this 8 1/2 pressure gauge on my compressed air system:

http://www.machinerymoverschicago.co...ressure-Gauge/

It looks awesome and can be easily seen from afar.

Now I am beginning to worry that I put it in the wrong place. It is
fed by an air line right next to the output of the pump. Because of
this, when the pump runs, the gauge fluctuates a bit as the air
"puffs" in the line, and I am afraid that the mount of the needle was
not designed for that and it will fail after a few months.

Is this a valid concern and should I connect it to something other
place in the tank, where the pressure is more stable?

Yes, that's a valid concern. Is there another plugged boss where you
could mount it in the tank rather than at the compressor outlet? Many
tanks have multiple bosses for running the piping from a different
direction. Or insert it above the union on the tank outlet plumbing
at the right.

Also, a concern I have is that the large gauge is out in the open and
can easily be damaged. Consider putting a shield around it, Ig.

Yet another concern is that the outlet is on the very bottom of the
(white upper) tank, ensuring that all moisture in that tank comes out
in the air line. Very strange.

--
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force.
Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/23/2014 10:20 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
Your gauge may have internal threads for a "pressure snubber" screw or
you could add one in line.
http://www.amazon.com/Trerice-872-2-...ers-Connection ...

I just learned something. Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

If that won't work out, you can make a pneumatic low-pass filter. Just
put a restriction of some sort (I was thinking of some purpose-made gizmo
with a small orifice, but just a valve will do -- crack it barely open
and leave it), then a couple of feet of largish-diameter (1"?) pipe, then
your gauge.

Fast variations will be lost, but slow variations will register. If you
do it with a valve, you can adjust the tracking speed by opening or
closing the valve.

(Larry's idea is better, if it works).

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Yes, I will look into something, or other.

Also, a concern I have is that the large gauge is out in the open and
can easily be damaged. Consider putting a shield around it, Ig.

Yet another concern is that the outlet is on the very bottom of the
(white upper) tank, ensuring that all moisture in that tank comes out
in the air line. Very strange.

That is for draining.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus27433" wrote in
message ...
On 2014-11-23, Jim Wilkins wrote:

Your gauge may have internal threads for a "pressure snubber" screw
or
you could add one in line.

Here it is, called a Throttle Screw:
http://www.ashcroft.eu/pictures/pdf/Accessories-1.pdf

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I'll bet the rubber hose he used initially helped dampen the bounce.

Fast variations will be lost, but slow variations will register. If you
do it with a valve, you can adjust the tracking speed by opening or
closing the valve.

Good idea, if there's one in the line already.

(Larry's idea is better, if it works).

Yeah, the direct output of the compressor has far too much variance in
pressure for a poor gauge to survive.

The same is true in car engines for vacuum gauges. The farther away
from the cylinders, the better. Directly under the carb is the best.

--
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force.
Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
--George Washington
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I could have sworn I saw a quick disconnect fitting on the end of that
line, Ig. Oh, well.

--
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force.
Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
--George Washington
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I put this 8 1/2 pressure gauge on my compressed air system:

http://www.machinerymoverschicago.co...ressure-Gauge/

It looks awesome and can be easily seen from afar.

Now I am beginning to worry that I put it in the wrong place. It is
fed by an air line right next to the output of the pump. Because of
this, when the pump runs, the gauge fluctuates a bit as the air
"puffs" in the line, and I am afraid that the mount of the needle was
not designed for that and it will fail after a few months.

Is this a valid concern and should I connect it to something other
place in the tank, where the pressure is more stable?

Simply add a restiction between the line and the guage to slow down
the response. A needle valve that you can adjust works well, so dose
filling a pipe nipple with solder and drilling a very fine hole
through it. Since there is virtually no flow, the restriction will
have virtually no effect on the pressure but WILL damp out the
fluctuation
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I put this 8 1/2 pressure gauge on my compressed air system:

http://www.machinerymoverschicago.co...ressure-Gauge/

It looks awesome and can be easily seen from afar.

Now I am beginning to worry that I put it in the wrong place. It is
fed by an air line right next to the output of the pump. Because of
this, when the pump runs, the gauge fluctuates a bit as the air
"puffs" in the line, and I am afraid that the mount of the needle was
not designed for that and it will fail after a few months.

Is this a valid concern and should I connect it to something other
place in the tank, where the pressure is more stable?

They make "pulse dampers that are used between a gauge and a pulsating
source.
--
cheers,

John D.Slocomb

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

If you didn't notice the references I posted to gauge snubbers, one
suggests starting with an 0.020" hole.

Several sizes of these bits have worked well enough for me in brass,
better than the #61-80 set from Enco.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000O5FG6E/..._26725410_item

I tried one in steel and it didn't dull instantly, FWIW.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I put this 8 1/2 pressure gauge on my compressed air system:

http://www.machinerymoverschicago.co...ressure-Gauge/

It looks awesome and can be easily seen from afar.

Now I am beginning to worry that I put it in the wrong place. It is
fed by an air line right next to the output of the pump. Because of
this, when the pump runs, the gauge fluctuates a bit as the air
"puffs" in the line, and I am afraid that the mount of the needle was
not designed for that and it will fail after a few months.

Is this a valid concern and should I connect it to something other
place in the tank, where the pressure is more stable?

Is there a check valve between the pump and tank? If so, you are not
reading tank pressure. If there is not one, there should be so the
pump unloader can work.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I put this 8 1/2 pressure gauge on my compressed air system:

http://www.machinerymoverschicago.co...ressure-Gauge/

It looks awesome and can be easily seen from afar.

Now I am beginning to worry that I put it in the wrong place. It is
fed by an air line right next to the output of the pump. Because of
this, when the pump runs, the gauge fluctuates a bit as the air
"puffs" in the line, and I am afraid that the mount of the needle was
not designed for that and it will fail after a few months.

Is this a valid concern and should I connect it to something other
place in the tank, where the pressure is more stable?

Is there a check valve between the pump and tank? If so, you are not
reading tank pressure. If there is not one, there should be so the
pump unloader can work.

it does not need a check valve.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Put in a snubber, everything is great now. Thanks for the advice.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus16276 fired this volley in
news
it does not need a check valve.

Yeah... I have no idea what that poster was thinking... it had nothing to
do with gauging.

Ig... If you need to plumb the gauge in a pulsing line to make it more
accessible or visible, they sell "gauge line snubbers" designed to do
exactly what you want -- take the pump pulses out of the stream before they
reach the gauge.

Lloyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-11-26, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus16276 fired this volley in
news
it does not need a check valve.

Yeah... I have no idea what that poster was thinking... it had nothing to
do with gauging.

Ig... If you need to plumb the gauge in a pulsing line to make it more
accessible or visible, they sell "gauge line snubbers" designed to do
exactly what you want -- take the pump pulses out of the stream before they
reach the gauge.

Lloyd

Yep. I bought a snubber, put it in line, straightened out the rubber
line also, everything is nice, tidy and the gauge operates very
smoothly.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 25 Nov 2014 18:15:15 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Ignoramus16276 fired this volley in
news
it does not need a check valve.

Yeah... I have no idea what that poster was thinking... it had nothing to
do with gauging.

Just my observation that without a check valve, he is using the pump
head discharge valves as a check valve.