Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A huge crane fail! 60 ton boom snapped like a drinking straw!

On Fri, 21 Nov 2014 17:19:14 -0600, Ignoramus15563

On 2014-11-21, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 19:59:46 -0800, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 17:28:41 -0600, Ignoramus11173
wrote:

Scary situation.

http://www.machinerymoverschicago.com/blog/Crane-Fail/

Might want to pay attention to these...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lyp0AtsODx4

WTF were they thinking? Cutting the brace for the A-frame legs of a
fully loaded crane system?

It was not loaded. My guess is that they wanted to cut only a few
bolts and cut too many.

No, I meant that the crane (perhaps sans boom) motor, winch gear, and
ballast (inside the untouched housing) were all there. The only weight
they took off were the light(er) booms, and maybe some cabling. The
majority of the weight was still up there.

I'll bet that carbon arc wielder had a -large- load in his pants after
the thing broke loose. Morons. I doubt there was any salvage after
that -except- steel. Everything else was bent, tweaked, or cracked.

I am sure that they were scrappers. Otherwise it is hard to explain
why they need so many oxygen tanks.

Yes, it seems that way.

And yes they do look like a team of morons.

Painfully.

--
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force.
Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."