Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A huge crane fail! 60 ton boom snapped like a drinking straw!

On Fri, 21 Nov 2014 09:15:39 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Ig wrote:
I hope that they had all kinds of insurance, now a big battle of
insurance companies will begin. I am glad that I am not a party to
that.

I'm fairly sure a company that can afford a $750K crane would have
insurance on it.

Smart ones would. But I wonder if any of the guys on that job in Oz
even spoke English, let along Australian.

It's required by law in many states, if not by fed regulations.
OSHA evidently added regs requiring overload protection in 2010, but
that doesn't cover Oz. shrug From 3 pages of regulations to 43
pages in one fell swoop. Amazing.
http://acadiainsurance.com/assets/fi...Regulation.pdf

--
"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force.
Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."