Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts[_2_] Jeremy Nicoll - news posts[_2_] is offline

Default Tape backup, a resurection of a DAT backup system (originally mentioned in the Damaged USB Drive thread).

Johny B Good wrote:

Once I've processed the tapes (and sanitised, if any, dubious content),
I'll be able to offer the tapes and the kit to Museums or retro computing
enthusiasts, possibly via ebay to get some financial recompense for my not
inconsiderable investment in this technological folly.

If the DAT drives haven't been used for years I wouldn't be surprised if
they've got a bit 'gummed up', for want of better words. Is any part of the
mechanism belt driven? Does anything need lubricated (and if so can you
actually get suitable lubricant to the right place)? If a tape jams or
breaks, is it possible to clear all the bits out of the drive?

If I were you, and if you have any, I'd spool some unused tapes back and
forth through the drives before you put a used tape in...

to replacing "aaa" by "284".