Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus11173 Ignoramus11173 is offline

Default A huge crane fail! 60 ton boom snapped like a drinking straw!

On 2014-11-21, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus11173 wrote:

Scary situation.

http://www.machinerymoverschicago.com/blog/Crane-Fail/

Wow! It's difficult to tell from the perspective in the picture, but it
looks to me like the crane was set excessively far away from the lift
point and had the boom at too shallow an angle, looking 45 degrees or
so.

[I added one more picture]

Yes, I agree with that. It was a risky lift and somehow or other, it
was riskier than they thought.

A couple years ago I got to play with a 60T Grove moving 40' containers
and we had it setup only about 40' from the crane boom pivot point to
the lift point and the boom extended to give probably a 60 degree angle
with loads of around 12,000# for a container and a small amount of
contents.

I would have expected that commercial crane services , like that one,
should have load moment indicators and other tools to prevent such
incidents.