Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default OCS's and chisel plows

On 11/18/2014 12:20 AM, wrote:
On Mon, 17 Nov 2014 23:59:49 -0600, wrote:

On 11/17/2014 7:27 PM,

My kid brother has an old Allis D series - I think it's a 17 - about
a 1958 model?

That'd be early one; first series was '57 thru '59 or perhaps '60;
stayed in production thru the Series IV up to about '69 or '70...ours
was a Series II in '60 or '61.

The stove on his manifold was burned through - didn't run worth squat
'till I found him a new manifold. Too much EGR!!!
He's got one of those crappy old British International tractors too -
a B414 diesel with a front end loader. Darn things never did steer
well with a loader on them - you need biceps like Popeye. Miserable
things to start anything below about 55 F too. - even with new glo
plugs.(and almost perfect compression).

"Know nuthink!" about British International but one had to be a man
before power steering on any of 'em. The little WD45 was bad enough,
the old Twin City steel wheel was nearly impossible to get out of a
furrow in the sand out here. It was relegated to the equipment line by
the time I was working in fields but it still ran and used it some for
spot duty. Even around the farmstead on hard ground was all I could do
to turn it at all at age 12 or so...