Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OCS's and chisel plows

On Mon, 17 Nov 2014 22:14:38 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 17 Nov 2014 15:41:53 -0600, "Terry Coombs"

wrote:

Back on topic:
Some scrap heavy duty angle iron and old leaf springs might be
cheaper, since you have extra time/less $$ now. I have a spare
leaf
spring which I made into a woodsplitting tool, a froe. I was going
make a nice, big slick (2-handed wood chisel) but Gunner gave one
me when I was there last month. (Thanks, mon!) It's handy steel.

I have a pair of springs from a mid/late 70's Camaro , should have
enough to make a froe and several knives after I get what I need for
the cultivator . I also have a selection of structural shapes , I
don't think I'll need to buy anything but maybe a pair of wheels .
One pair of decent wheels can be swapped from device to device -
trailer , log dragger , cultivator . Hey , I can only use one at a
time .

What color do you temper the froe to where you bent it for the handle?
-jsw

I haven't made one yet , but probably to a medium/dark straw color .

I think everything I've ever tempered has been at that straw color.

--
I started out with nothing and
I still have most of it left!