Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default sorta-OT Small Engine stalling

On Sun, 16 Nov 2014 17:59:48 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Through the years I've gotten away from ethanol for mowers and 2 stroke tools....anything that may sit for extended periods. Some of the stations sell 100% gas for a premium. Others I know use additives to overcome ethanol use. I've had the fuel and return lines deteriorate thru time to the extent the intank filter came loose from the line. A severe crack or break is pretty evident...a smaller one could cause the intermittent problems you describe.

The local rental place only uses ethanol free gasoline in their
engines and requires customers to do the same. Though I don't know how
they would check. I switched to ethanol free about two years ago and
have found that I have less trouble starting engines after they have
sat for some time. And interestingly there is less stuff floating
around in the bottom of the clear float bowl on my Gibson tractor.
There used to always be a little rusty or brownish water in the float
bowl but with the ethonal free gas I don't see this anymore.
Eric