Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default OCS's and chisel plows

On 11/17/2014 12:55 PM, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Sun, 16 Nov 2014 17:57:06 -0600
"Terry wrote:

I need to buildwell , "need" might be too strong ... some kind of plow
to pull behind my "new' tractor , and I'm thinking chisel plow . 3 or 4
blades is probably going to be the most I can pull with 17 hp , ...

W/ chisels, they count "shanks" not "blades". Depending on the soil,
even three is likely optimistic unless you can really weight the tractor
down. Of course, you can simply scratch the top inch...

That's kind of a catchall term, chisel plow. Picture of a JD V-Ripper
he

....snip for brevity...
I would try copying one of these that look like what you think you
want. But, what are you hoping to accomplish with it?

Brinly has several implements made for small garden type tractors and
pretty good diagrams to get ideas from:

The origin of the species...

http://www.asabe.org/awards-landmarks/asabe-historic-landmarks/graham-hoeme-chisel-plow-38.aspx

Fred's farmstead is about 30 mi west of us; he was in the assisted
living facility in town while my mother was there her last few years
(almost 15 yr ago now). I found a rare very early model in an equipment
boneyard up by Pratt (KS) a number of years ago and took him the
production tag as a momento. He almost teared up over it as it was from
one of the handbuilt in the farm shop of the first couple of years...

They were simply known as "Hoeme's" (pronounced "Hay-me") out here for
years.

He and his brother worked on the design for years before it was finally
a real success. It wasn't until they got in touch with a metallurgist
from the steel mill in Pueblo, CO, from whom they'd purchased shanks
that they got a suitable alloy/heat treatment that would "give" enough
to not break but yet not simply unfold if were too soft.