Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default sorta-OT Small Engine stalling

On Sun, 16 Nov 2014 12:39:57 -0500, Spehro Pefhany wrote:

On Sun, 16 Nov 2014 08:07:11 -0800, the renowned wrote:

On Sat, 15 Nov 2014 23:45:34 -0500, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:

Hi, guys:-

I have a relativley new Husqvarna 130BT 29.5 cc 2-stroke backpack leaf
blower and it has a stalling problem- runs for some time (maybe 30
seconds or maybe 5 minutes) then slows down and (usually) stalls or
sometimes speeds up again. It pretty much restarts immediately with a
pull. Fresh gas properly mixed with 2-stroke oil 50:1 as recommended.

Cleaned the gasoline pickup, tried loosening the gas cap in case the
vent was plugged.

Any ideas?

http://images.lowes.com/product/conv...88505029lg.jpg

There's apparently no manual choke (the usual primer bulb) but a lever
that has open and closed on it- it really only runs continuously in one
position (and the compression seems to be gone in other position).
The manual (such as it is- it covers three models) is silent on what
should be done with it.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

I had this problem twice occuring to a 4 stroke Ryobi weed eater. The
problem was in the carb. In both cases I carefully took apart and
cleaned the carb using the carb cleaner that comes in a spray can and
has that litle red tube that is really good for blasting the cleaner
through tiny passages. When I looked at the carb internals I could not
see where or what the contamination was except that there was a sort of
brownish residue coating various parts of the internals. All I know for
sure is that in both cases the thing would start losing power and then
die. I could do the restart thing a few times but then the engines would
only idle, and would die as soon as I pulled the throttle trigger.
Eric Eric

Thanks, Eric & Larry-

I was afraid of that. Bad memories from working on lawnmowers. I'll take
the carb apart and blast it with carb cleaner, prob next weekend.
New carbs are too pricey to consider ($130+ with shipping).

Does it pump gas through the black hose (with filter attached) and
return unused fuel through the clear hose that's just hanging in the
tank?

If you really don't want to mess with it you could take it to a small
engine repair place. Surely there's someone up there in the wilds of
Canada that would do such work.

(We have two local places around here that are both excellent -- so I'm
spoiled).

--
www.wescottdesign.com