Posted to uk.d-i-y
Johny B Good[_2_] Johny B Good[_2_] is offline

Default Tape backup, a resurection of a DAT backup system (originally mentioned in the Damaged USB Drive thread).

On Sat, 15 Nov 2014 10:31:33 +0000, Scott M
wrote:

Chris French wrote:
In message , Johny B Good

It looks like I've got myself a bit of a data retrieval project to
keep me occupied for the next few weeks or so.

Good luck :-)

Can't help wondering if there is actually any data that you will
actually want on them though.

I was going say that. To my mind, most data becomes irrelevant before
the hardware it's stored on becomes obsolete (and certainly before the
hardware has broken down or worn out.)

The small %age of data that does want keeping tends to get shunted
between systems during upgrades.

Well, as I've already mentioned to Chris, that's exactly the
situation I'm anticipating. The thing is, I'm curious to see what
'long lost' software of historical interest may reside within that
collection (and any other surprise items long since thought vanished
off the face of the planet).

Once I've processed the tapes (and sanitised, if any, dubious
content), I'll be able to offer the tapes and the kit to Museums or
retro computing enthusiasts, possibly via ebay to get some financial
recompense for my not inconsiderable investment in this technological
folly. At the very least, it's all going to be disposed of one way or
another - it does use up a considerable chunk of storage space
compared to a large thumb drive's worth of modern storage.
--
J B Good