Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John G[_6_] John G[_6_] is offline

Default Crossover switch? Cutoff switch?

on 14/11/2014, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh supposed :
Ignoramus10705 fired this volley in
:

Not having it is unsafe for linemen, neighbors, and to the generator
itself.

yeahbut... (My life is dedicated to the "Yeah, But!")

I live in a place and a space where linemen only ever come if you call.
They do not touch our service without a call; hell, they don't even come
when you call! (We're talking "deep rural" here).

The genset has its own breaker, and it will trip long before any damage
can be done. I have not tried it on _this_ genset, but have done before
on others.

My neighbors are all on different pole pigs.

And my 'folks' are all and well trained in the emergency procedure.

It is, after all, just one breaker off and one breaker on, before
starting the generator. After that, if you don't cut off the other
appropriate breakers, it'll just trip the one on the generator, or, if
it's 'smart', it'll just quench, and not deliver.

Lloyd

This dumb argumentative thread reocurs more often than the seasons
change. :-[

--
John G Sydney.