Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Protecting against transient blown lighting fuse

On Friday, November 14, 2014 2:04:03 AM UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 14/11/2014 00:30, wrote:
On Thursday, November 13, 2014 11:35:00 PM UTC, Toby wrote:
On 13/11/2014 01:58,
wrote:
On Wednesday, November 12, 2014 8:22:45 PM UTC, Toby wrote:
On 12/11/2014 14:13, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 12/11/14 14:09, Dennis@home wrote:
On 12/11/2014 13:53,
wrote:
My tenants in the shop have called me out for the third time because the
lighting fuse blew when they turned on their miniature halogen
chandelier

No dimmer is flashover-proof.

Not sure why that is relevant to this part of the thread, if the OP puts
that dimmer on, which has soft start, and leaves the 5A fuse in place, I
expect it will be enough to prevent the fuse from blowing.

Soft start doesn't prevent filament bulbs blowing, doesn't extend their life significantly and doesn't prevent arcover.

Soft start does actually extend the life of halogen lamps. You may find
you can swap the circuit fuse going for the dimmer fuse (or the dimmer!)

It extends halogen life some, but not GLS filament. Halogen capsule lamps are very prone to arc-over, so going that route is not a good strategy. And a bit of life extension doesnt protect against arc-over failures.

If you want protection with filament lamps, you need a series transformer or an electronic solution. Or just a monster relay that can take it!

NT