Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Crossover switch? Cutoff switch?

Bob Engelhardt fired this volley in
:

Not that I'm going to be complacent about opening my main breaker, but
the risk if I don't is minimal.

Yeah... I have 'basic' mains on the line and the genset, and clear labels
and written instructions hanging inside the breaker box. There's more to
cut off besides JUST the main... the generator can't handle the entire
load (like AC, water heater, etc). Some items are 'optional', depending
upon what else is on. It's all there in the sheet -- just like "Green
Acres" G.

Even if one were to cut over the genset before switching off the main,
all it would do is trip (either the specific main, or the breaker on the
genset).
shrug
LLoyd