Posted to uk.d-i-y
Toby Toby is offline

Default Protecting against transient blown lighting fuse

On 13/11/2014 01:58, wrote:
On Wednesday, November 12, 2014 8:22:45 PM UTC, Toby wrote:
On 12/11/2014 14:13, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 12/11/14 14:09, Dennis@home wrote:
On 12/11/2014 13:53,
wrote:
My tenants in the shop have called me out for the third time because the
lighting fuse blew when they turned on their miniature halogen
chandelier
and one of the lamps blew at switch-on. To me, continuously blowing
fuses
means a faulty appliance, and in this case I definitely blame the
halogen
chandelier. I hate the things. I should never have installed it for
them,
but they'd already bought it and "it looks sooooo nice!!!".

Put a dimmer on the chandelier as they usually have soft start so less
chance the lamps will blow and take out the fuse.

The lamps will take out the dimmer instead ....

Not this one, it is fine for halogens at its advertised rating (I have
200w of GU10 on one without any issues at all).
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VLIS1401.html

No dimmer is flashover-proof.

NT

Not sure why that is relevant to this part of the thread, if the OP puts
that dimmer on, which has soft start, and leaves the 5A fuse in place, I
expect it will be enough to prevent the fuse from blowing.

--
Toby...
Remove your pants to reply