Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is it normal to smell natural gas near water heater?

On Wed, 12 Nov 2014 23:04:39 -0500, micky
wrote:

On Wed, 12 Nov 2014 22:51:50 -0500, wrote:

Many Co detectors are combination natural gas detectors. $63 is about
the average cost. Likely more like $40 yankee bucks.

Wow. The difference has grown. Last I noticed, I think 93c US was a

It's more than the difference in the buck (right now in the 88 cent
range).A lot of that type of stuff is just plain cheaper in the USA
even taking exchange into consideration. I guess having a market ten
times the size of the Canadian market has something to do with it??

Hmmm. I guess there's a lot about marketing and economics that I don't
know.

I know a lot of electronics products made in Japan, or at least made by
Japanese companies in countries near them, are cheaper in the US than in
Japan. But I thought that had to do with Japanese taxes or something.

(I don't know what prices are like in China, or how many Chinese can
afford to buy their products, even at US prices.)

I would think one could treat Canada as any 30 million person section of
the US. Most chains in the US don't cover the whole country, or if
they do like the mail-order catalog, I mean webpage, of Sears, they are
still just one of many buyers.
.

Does NAFTA only affect things made in the US, Canada, and Mexico, and
not how Chinese or Japanese companies exporting here elate to us?

Well you can go into any Target store in the USA, then come up to
Canada and go to a Target store, and the prices will shock you. Same
with book stores. Even when out dollar was up to $1.15, a book that
sold for $8.99 in US stores was $14.99 here.

Part of it is taxes, but definitely not all of it.

Part of it is the fact that to sell any product in Canada it MUST have
both english and french on the lable, and have all instructions and
warnings in both languages - so they can't just toss a box across the
border from Detroit to a store in Windsor, or from Buffalo to Niagara
Falls.