Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Crossover switch? Cutoff switch?

On 11/13/2014 8:09 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
... Beside the
fact that if the line is still intact to other's houses my genset will trip
out immediately on overload if I'm still connected to the line feed .

That's my take on it. And it's not only the 5 or 6 houses sharing the
pole pig with you, but the pole pig itself. You'd be trying to energize
the pole pig secondary, which would energize the primary and try to
energize all the pole pigs on that 1200v (?) line, etc. In other words,
the service line to your house would look like a dead short to your
generator. Also, with the internal impedance of the generator, its
output voltage would drop way down during the time it takes to trip its
breaker.

Not that I'm going to be complacent about opening my main breaker, but
the risk if I don't is minimal.

Bob