Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] mogulah@hotmail.com is offline

Default Crossover switch? Cutoff switch?

On Thursday, November 13, 2014 8:09:38 AM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
Pete C. wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
On 11/12/2014 6:26 PM, Pete C. wrote:
I use a Square D interlock kit on my 200A
QO panel with a 30A generator feed breaker. It works very well and
the OEM interlock kit was ~$60.

Umm ... the GE's that I found were $150. Why should they be so much
more? Anyhow, I just use the old turn-off-the-main-breaker & back
feed through the welder circuit.

Be prepared to catch a ration of **** for doing it that way . I do
it the same thru the shop subpanel , and every time it comes up I
get accused of trying to fry a lineman or something . Hmm , I was
just thinking , if a guy wired them up right a set of lights could
not only tell when the power came back on but could let you
synchronize with the grid for uninterrupted service .

They can spew that nonsense, but that's all it is. It is physically
impossible for your little generator to "fry a lineman" unless that
lineman violates his safety procedures. They *must* test and ground
every circuit conductor before they are allowed to handle it without
insulating gloves, so it is simply not possible for them to be harmed
by your generator unless *they are at fault*.

I can agree they must violate safety procedures to be harmed . Beside the
fact that if the line is still intact to other's houses my genset will trip
out immediately on overload if I'm still connected to the line feed .
--
Snag
Oh , and I like cats as well as dogs ...

I've never liked dogs.