Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Is it normal to smell natural gas near water heater?

On Wed, 12 Nov 2014 20:36:54 -0500, wrote:

Getting more common - Co detectors are now MANDATORY in any living
space in Ontario, joining smoke detectors.

Years ago my brother gave me a CO detector for my birthday. He always
finds good things to buy, that I don't even realize would be good**

I don't remember how the problem started. but the loud CO alarm woke me
up one night. I opened the window and turned off the oil furnace. It
was a cold night, and after a while I was torn whether to shut the
window again, so I could go to sleep. But I didn't want the big sleep.

The alarm wasn't alarming, but I think I had a slight headache and
didn't want to take chances. But it was getting cold quickly. After 20,
25 minutes I shut the window and went back to sleep.

Next day called the furnace guy. He took off the 6" stove pipe leading
to the chimney. A two-inch doughnut made of nothing but soot!!!.
Leaving only 2 inches in the middle for the exhaust. That's 1/4 the
intended cross-section.

BTW, there's a story running around that oil furnaces can't make CO.
NOT true.

**He also gave me an electronic stud finder. My brother doesn't do home
repairs. I wonder how he even thought of that. My reaction was, I'll
never use it, but I used it over and over and over agains.

Many Co detectors are combination natural gas detectors. $63 is about
the average cost. Likely more like $40 yankee bucks.

Wow. The difference has grown. Last I noticed, I think 93c US was a