Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.[_3_] Pete C.[_3_] is offline

Default Crossover switch? Cutoff switch?

Tim Wescott wrote:

What's the switch called that you use to cut a circuit over from street
'lectricity to a generator?

And do they come in a little 15- or 20-amp version?

I just lost most of today's opportunity to work to a power outage (big
windstorm today), and spent my down-time buying a generator. I can just
toss an extension cord through the window of my office to the generator,
but it'd be nice to connect it to my office plugs instead.

Transfer switch. Not something I recommend to anyone these days in most
cases. Look for an interlock kit to match your electrical panel.
Interlock kits are available for most panels now, in many cases OEM
interlock kits, and they are less expensive and more versatile than a
traditional transfer switch. I use a Square D interlock kit on my 200A
QO panel with a 30A generator feed breaker. It works very well and the
OEM interlock kit was ~$60.