Posted to alt.home.repair
TimR[_2_] TimR[_2_] is offline

Default Is it normal to smell natural gas near water heater?

Odorant can fool you.

I worked at a place out in the country that had a small motel for new employees until they found a place. There were maybe a dozen rooms. The place smelled so strong of gas I wouldn't have walked near it. Their claim was that it was normal. The odorant addition machine only came in one size, and so they had a large unit for that tiny motel. With that much odorant being added it was bound to smell.

In hindsight, they were probably lying, but we all did survive. And move out quickly.