Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Protecting against transient blown lighting fuse

"Robin" wrote in message
Anyway, when I rewired the shop 15 years ago all the lighting is in
1.5mm cables. 1.5mm at "clipped direct", "within non-insulating
wall", "floor/ ceiling void" is rated at between 16A and 20A. I'm
tempted to replace the 5A lighting circuit fuse with a 10A fuse to
avoid transient blowing when a halogen blows. Total circuit
consumption is 365W of tubes, 15W CFL and 180W of the halogen
chandelier, so 2.3A running total. Any comments?

I'll stick my head above the parapet to give Adam or others something to
shoot at.

I don't see anything inherently wrong with a 10A fuse if the Zs is OK
*but* IIRC many (most?) pendants and other domestic fittings are only
rated for 6A. And some light switches are only rated for 5A.

But the OP is not running a 10A load:-)

http://www.hager.co.uk/files/downloa...ower_guide.pdf

is a good read. Dunno how old the article (ie table 1) is but I am sure that
SBC and SES were all allowed bigger than 6A MCBs in the 17th - I need to
double check that though.

--
Adam