Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Need a bacteriocide for oil

On Monday, November 10, 2014 12:10:45 PM UTC-5, wrote:

You are probably right Dan. I'm just wondering if it will be effective
or if I should just refill with new oil. If I had an oven big enough I
would just bake the thing at 180 degrees for a few hours and be done
with it.
ERIC

A long time ago, I read something about Houghton selling a oil with some iodine added. I don't think it was cutting oil, I think it was to lubricate stainless against stainless. So I rummaged around on the internet and found a patent of two about using iodine as a biostat and also improving the performance of a cutting oil. I also found references that said that iodine is very corrosive to some metals.

So I would probably buy some biostat rather than trying a do it yourself solution.

Dan