Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Need a bacteriocide for oil

On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 09:10:52 -0800, wrote:

On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 05:08:02 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Sunday, November 9, 2014 7:31:52 PM UTC-5, wrote:

su I'd like to just rinse the sump with bacteriocide laden diesel
oil, drain, dry, and then fill with way lube. Anybody think this would
prevent the rapid regrowth of the gel?
Thanks,
Eric

I would rinse the sump with bateriocide diesel and not bother to dry the sump.
Diesel has a little lubricating properties and a little diesel should not be a problem.

Dan

You are probably right Dan. I'm just wondering if it will be effective
or if I should just refill with new oil. If I had an oven big enough I
would just bake the thing at 180 degrees for a few hours and be done
with it.
ERic

Simply fill the box with some Clorox and let it sit for a few hours
outside. Its not rocket science. And after its been dumped and
flushed..refill with good oil and get on with your life.

This is a fairly regular issue in machine shops, from lubricants to
coolants..particularly in this economy when many machines sit for long
periods of time.

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke