Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus25323 Ignoramus25323 is offline

Default Adding hydraulic functions to a forklift

On 2014-11-09, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus25323 fired this volley in
:

The drive is a regular drive with automatic transmission.

That didn't tell me much. There are 'automatic' hydraulically driven
traction drives, there are directly engine-driven trannies...

Did you mean the traction system is directly engine driven? (and yes,
automatic transmissions have hydraulics in them, too, but the pump is
inside the case, and part of the assembly).

It is engine driven, like a car. The transmission has its own
hydraulic pump.

That pump on the transmission is also used for steering. Power
Steering was screwed up on this forklift and we threw it out: the
steering gearbox, the arms etc, are gone. We replaced it with an
Orbitrol all-hydraulic power steering. This was really great. It is
no longer hydraulically assisted mechanical steering, it is
all-hudraulic.