Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Adding hydraulic functions to a forklift

On Sat, 08 Nov 2014 15:16:23 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Larry Jaques fired this volley in
:

Yes, parallel. (Current throne room material is a '67 Sperry Rand
Vickers Mobile Hydraulics Manual)

Fooey! The two spools already on there aren't in parallel! With open-
center spools, the 'bypass' (drain, if you will) of one valve feeds the
next valve's pressure input.

Sosueme. I haven't reached the open/closed-center valves chapter yet.

If you put open-center valves in parallel, nothing moves unless ALL the
valves are actuated, and then they all move.

I thought open center valves all had full pressure to them at all
times and they only use it when the spool is moved.

The valves are "physically in parallel", because they're constructed to
dump flow to the next valve, and/or accept flow from the prior one.

But schematically, they're in series.

How can you move two things at once (loader beam up, rotate bucket up,
or crane up, crane right) if they're in series? Or is it set up so he
can only work one function at a time? Still, they'd seem to have to
be in parallel for that, too.

My head has a problem grokking that at this time. I'm sure I'll get
it by the time I read the rest of the manual, though. I've played
with hydraulics for decades (including Lincoln ps/pb with
accumulators) but not quite in this context. That's why I bought the
book.

--
That's the thing about needs. Sometimes, when you get them met,
you don't need them anymore. -- Michael Patrick King