Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus25323 Ignoramus25323 is offline

Default Adding hydraulic functions to a forklift

On 2014-11-08, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 08 Nov 2014 06:41:24 -0600, Ignoramus25323

On 2014-11-08, Karl Townsend wrote:

But- adding spools is easy. You need to determine if it's an open or
closed center valve system.
Then you buy the correct type of valves and connect the inlet ports to
the pressure feed. The outputs go to the new quick disconnect fittings
you will need to add.

its easy if you got open center (hydraulic pump always runs) not so
much if closed center. You have an older truck?

This forklift is from something like 1960's. It is in a very good
shape actually., but yes, it is old. (Towmotor)

Pretty sure it would be open center. If so "T" off your hydraulic
line on both pressure side and drain, add in your valves. FWIW, the
Farm and Fleet store stock this stuff cheap. Maybe they don't have
those inside the windy city.

On other words, you are saying, add the second spool valve in
parallel, right?

Yes, parallel. (Current throne room material is a '67 Sperry Rand
Vickers Mobile Hydraulics Manual)

Ya, you'll loose some lift capacity, but you're starting from 30K
should work well for your needs.

Exactly, if I can handle 10k with the boom extended, I will be very
happy. I will, obviously, test that and make up a load chart.

I'm curious to see your final build for a scrapper forklift crane.

Yes, i will post some pictures if/when I get it done.

I am extremely aware that losing balance with things high up in the
air, is a very bad idea.

Yeah, life-altering.