Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Adding hydraulic functions to a forklift

"Ignoramus25323" wrote in
message ...
On 2014-11-08, Karl Townsend
wrote:

On other words, you are saying, add the second spool valve in
parallel, right?

Yep,

BTW, maybe i have my terminology wrong. i see I'm backward from
what
Jim says. With a tow motor I'm sure you just have the old system
with
pump always running and dump to relief valve when a spool valve
sin't
being used. This system is easy to add spool valves.

Karl, this is what I also think, you got it exactly wrong in your
first post. If I have open center, I add another apool valve in
series. Very easy to do.

The easy way to tell is to install a pressure gauge at the valve
inlet. I added them to my log splitter, tractor and porta-power clone.
The one on the log splitter is of necessity poorly positioned out of
my view of the wood, on the pump outlet, but it would be easily broken
if located closer to the action. I can watch the other two without
taking my eyes too far off the job.

The gauges show how close I am to the safe limit and give an early
warning when the system needs repair.

Perhaps my experience as a lab tech makes me comfortable monitoring
dials and gauges. The other day I lagged together a retaining wall on
sawhorses and then lowered it into position with my shop crane. I hung
it from a scale to weigh it, then substituted a chain to position it,
and found it was better to put the scale back and support half its
weight while nudging it into final position. Without the scale I
couldn't tell from the pump end of the crane whether it would be too
heavy to tap into line with my toe or too light to stay in place.
http://www.amazon.com/Big-Game-Scale...big+game+scale

-jsw