Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.autos,alt.autos.ford

Default Reparing Leak in Tire Side Wall

On Fri, 07 Nov 2014 08:04:51 -0800, SMS
wrote:

On 11/5/2014 3:33 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Jeff Strickland" wrote in message

DO NOT PAY EXTRA FOR NITROGEN. This is snake oil for tires. It might
work
as
claimed, but the air we breathe already is full of nitrogen. My only
point
is, do not pay an upcharge for nitrogen. If they do it for free, then do
not
refuse. But do not pay extra.

Up to $2.50 per tire extra for nitrogen fill can be rationalized. Any
more is highway robbery.

No, nitrogen is snake oil. The air we breathe is already something like
80% nitrogen. You can do a search, but paying a tire shop for nitrogen is
a waste of money, $10.00 using your threshold.

With the air in the tire already 80% nitrogen and the outside of all tires
has the same mix of 80 % nitrogen and 20% oxygen (with a trace of other
elements) what good does the all nitrogen do ? Especially if the car is
not driven enough to heat up the tires.

Yeah, if you only drive a mile or two between long periods of non-use,
the tires won't heat up.

But as has been explained repeatedly, there are definite benefits to
nitrogen to passenger car tires, but it's probably not worth paying
extra for provided the tire dealer has good dryers on their compressors.

The benefit accrues more to the tire dealer, even when they are
including the nitrogen at no extra cost (and the reality is that it
costs them only pennies per tire to have a nitrogen generator). The
benefits to the tire dealer are the following:

Fewer warranty repairs
Fewer tread life warranty claims
Fewer TPMS issues by customers

If indeed these benefits to the dealer do exist, then it is "quite
obvious" there is a benefit to the owner as well - which over the life
of the tires is "definitely" worth $10.
Remember, the average driver isn't out there checking their tire
pressure once a month or once a week, or ever. Minimizing pressure loss
and pressure changes due to temperature, is a big plus.