Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.autos,alt.autos.ford
Jeff Strickland[_2_] Jeff Strickland[_2_] is offline

Default Reparing Leak in Tire Side Wall

"SMS" wrote in message
On 11/5/2014 10:24 AM, Jeff Strickland wrote:

snip

DO NOT PAY EXTRA FOR NITROGEN. This is snake oil for tires. It might
work as claimed, but the air we breathe already is full of nitrogen. My
only point is, do not pay an upcharge for nitrogen. If they do it for
free, then do not refuse. But do not pay extra.

It isn't just the fact that it's nitrogen versus a mix that includes
nitrogen, there are other reasons for using nitrogen versus air as well.

The reason that Costco doesn't charge for nitrogen is not a marketing
ploy, the use of nitrogen reduces failures and Costco is one tire store
that actually honors its road hazard and tread life warranties. The cost
to them of including nitrogen is trivial given the benefits to them.

If you have a source of pure dry air for your tires, and check the
pressure often, and adjust for temperature changes, then plain air is just
fine. Tire stores will have driers on their compressors to remove some
moisture from air but it's not as moisture free as nitrogen.

But you're right, paying extra for nitrogen versus dry air isn't worth it
since most tire stores charge at least $5 per tire for it. And of course
you can always go to Costco and add nitrogen to your tires for free. They
have a hose there near the entrance to one of the bays.

One issue that comes up more and more is very sensitive TPMS systems. If
you're right at either edge (high or low) then pressure changes due to
tempearature will activate the TPMS warning light. Dry nitrogen has less
pressure changes due to temperature than moist air.

One other thing, is if you have a TPMS sensor fail (flashing TPMS warning
light at start-up) Costco does replacements at a cost far less than the
dealer. The batteries in the factory sensors fail at about 7 years. I just
had them replace one last month. The next time I get new tires I'll have
them replace the other three since they are all going to fail within a
year and if they change them while they are doing mounting and balancing
there's no additional labor charge.

FOR THE RECORD
I amnot against nitrogen. Nitorgen is good. It's not worth paying for. If
the store wants to give it away, then buy your tires there. But if the tire
store wants an other ten bucks or more, then pass.

Nitrogen is going to seep out and you will go to the gas station and use the
machine to refill your tires, and this will dilute the nitrogen. After you
put air into the tires a few times, you will have the same concentration of
nitrogen that already exists in free air.

ALL I AM SAYING IS, DO NOT PAY FOR NITROGEN, and give peace a chance...