Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John B. slocomb John B. slocomb is offline

Default NEW Millermatic 190 at the 2014 SEMA Show

On Fri, 07 Nov 2014 19:17:27 +1100, Jon Anderson
wrote:

On 11/7/2014 12:57 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:

From what I see, small contractors in S.E.A. are using Chinese made
welders almost universally. Some of small shipyards making flat top
barges are still using transformers

Using a Cigweld at work. I'm impressed with them, especially for
maintenance work. Easy to carry up a ladder, down into crawl spaces,
etc. Can't speak to reliability. I'm pretty sure getting one repaired
would not be economical.
But I think back to my days at NASA Ames in the heavy fab shop, and the
big old 400 amp Lincoln welders that were probably WWII vintage.
400 amps and a carbon arc gouge will remove a lot of metal in a big
damned hurry. I sorta doubt inverter welders will take over that niche
market anytime soon...

Jon

The first "cheap Chinese welder" I saw was a contractor in Singapore
putting up a fence. He had this little box hanging on a strap over his
shoulder that had what looked like welding leads on it. I asked him
what it was and he told me it was a welding machine.

I didn't believe him :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.