Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.autos,alt.autos.ford
SMS SMS is offline

Default Reparing Leak in Tire Side Wall

On 11/7/2014 3:36 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
wrote in message
On Fri, 7 Nov 2014 12:55:46 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
I have a 2007 and 2008 and the TPMS have failed on both of them. I have
no
intention of getting them replaced. I think I was quoted a proce of about
$
60 to $ 80 for each wheel. That is getting close to the price of a tire.

Either tires are a LOT cheaper in the USA than in Canada (I know they
are somewhat cheaper) or you are buying crappy tires. I haven't bought
a tire for less than $118 on sale in quite a few years - and I don't
have 17 inch or larger rims or super low profile tires.

I was somewhat low on the tire prices. I put a good grade of Michelin tires
on. They are about $ 125 each. This is just a standard Toyota. Still that
$ 60 to $ 80 just for the sensor is way too high. I bet they only cost
about $ 10 or less to make. Especially in the large quantites they are mass
produced in.

Costco charged $45 for an after-market sensor for a 2007 Toyota Camry.
There would be no extra installation cost if replaced at the time tires
are replaced.

The manufacturing cost is immaterial, but it's probably about $3, not $10.