Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.autos,alt.autos.ford

Default Reparing Leak in Tire Side Wall

On Fri, 07 Nov 2014 10:12:51 -0800, SMS
wrote:

On 11/7/2014 9:55 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"SMS" wrote in message
One other thing, is if you have a TPMS sensor fail (flashing TPMS
warning light at start-up) Costco does replacements at a cost far less
than the dealer. The batteries in the factory sensors fail at about 7
years. I just had them replace one last month. The next time I get new
tires I'll have them replace the other three since they are all going to
fail within a year and if they change them while they are doing mounting
and balancing there's no additional labor charge.

I have a 2007 and 2008 and the TPMS have failed on both of them. I have no
intention of getting them replaced. I think I was quoted a proce of about $
60 to $ 80 for each wheel. That is getting close to the price of a tire.

What does the price of a TPMS sensor have to do with the price of a
tire? The two are unrelated.

Costco charged about $45 for the sensor. Installation was $15 because
they had to essentially do a mount and balance. So since the vehicle
with the faulty sensor is about eight years old (2007) I will change the
other sensors at the next tire replacement.

I like the TPMS on cars where the driver is unlikely to ever check the
tire pressure. Sensors are going to be used in increasing number on
vehicles and machinery for faults and to indicate when maintenance is
actually necessary (versus the present system of basing maintenance
mainly on time or miles).

There is talk of making TPMS and stability control mandatory on all
vehicles in North America within 5 years.