Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Removing the drill chuck from a HF Mini-mill

Big Fred wrote:
I have a HF Mini-Mill #44991 that needs to have the drill chuck
removed from the spindle in order to install a taper shank cutter. After
removing the spindle cover, I inserted the Fixing Pin into the
spindle sleeve and loosened the Spindle draw bar. The instructions
say that all I have to do is gently tap the taper shank (hidden by
the drill chuck?) and let the drill chuck fall out. As you would
guess, the drill chuck is stubborn and no matter where I hit the
drill chuck it remains fixed in the spindle. I am using a hard rubber
mallet. This machine is new and was shipped with the drill chuck
already installed on the spindle.
Is there a book or a video showing how to remove the drill chuck from
the spindle?

Big Fred

Rap the top of the drawbar sharply with a small hammer or a wood mallet . Be
sure you have the drawbar threaded well into the chuck taper so you don't
bugger up the threads on either . Once the taper pops loose you can unscrew
the drawbar . Be aware there is a locater pin in the spindle and a matching
groove in the collet or drill chuck adapter .
--
Snag