Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Any recomendations for a new multi meter please?

In article ,
Theo Markettos wrote:
Caecilius wrote:
As ohers have said, can't go wrong with Fluke.

Buy two, a Fluke and a cheapo one. Use the cheapo one when you just
need to buzz out lightbulbs, check batteries, whatever, and use the
Fluke when it actually matters.

Good advice.

The cost of a fuse for a Fluke can be as much as a whole cheap
multimeter, so you live to regret testing the voltage of a D cell but
the probes plugged in for current mode. And the cheapo one comes in
handy when you pick up the Fluke and discover the battery is flat
*again* (I know it's a problem in the Fluke 83, not sure about others).

Quite. Of course there will be smartarses who say they've never blown a
fuse in a DVM. I'm certainly more careful after having to buy a new one
for my Fluke. ;-)

In fact, buy several cheapo ones and leave one in the shed, one in the
car, etc. Then there's always one about when you need it.

I bought a 'proper' automotive one off Ebay from China direct to keep in
the old car. Does RPM, Dwell and Temperature, as well as the usual and has
a 20 amp range. Actually seems rather a nice meter at about 30 quid.

My Fluke is a delight to use - but doubt it is decent value for money, and
probably not worth it for general DIY. Snag is knowing which of the many
from China are.

--
*I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.