Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C.[_3_] Pete C.[_3_] is offline

Default Bought this huge gantry crane from Rock Island Arsenal

On 2014-11-05, Pete C. wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

On Tue, 04 Nov 2014 18:35:15 -0600, Ignoramus4942
wrote:

Bought this sight unseen, now I wonder just how big it is and if I
have a chance of selling it.

IMHO, You'd be damn lucky to find a buyer. WAY to big for any hobby
type or small shop even. This would go in a large manufacturing
operation. Industry will buy exactly what they need exactly when they
need it.

karl

A small shop doing oil field work perhaps

OK, guys, I do not mean to be unrealistic and dreamy eyed.

But I have a question, perhaps I would have a chance to sell the top
beam and the lifting mechanism?

The only places I can think of that might be interested in something
like that used would be: oil field repair shops, mining repair shops and
perhaps industrial marinas or a rock quarry. The places that can afford
to buy one new will do just that, so it's the smaller places that deal
with heavy stuff that would be interested in a used one even if they
need to have it inspected for OSHA purposes it's still a lot cheaper
than new.