Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.autos,alt.autos.ford
Jeff Strickland[_2_] Jeff Strickland[_2_] is offline

Default Reparing Leak in Tire Side Wall

"Dan Espen" wrote in message
"Sasquatch Jones" writes:

I have a slow lead in the side wall that came from scraping some kind
of sharp object laying by the curb. Looks like a 1/2-inch cut, but
jagged. Tire is tubeless radial. Is it possible to patch something
like this on the side wall? Patch kits say they are for the tread but
don't say specifically not to use them on the side.

2nd thought -- can I put a tube in it? Seems like I remember tire
places say tubeless can't be fixed with a tube, but I can't see why
not.

A tube should work, but any kind of cut could lead to a blow out.
Especially one on the side wall.
I say replace the tire.

--
Dan Espen

Worst advice ever. A tube will not work, that's why they do not put them in.
Firstly, without a rim that can be taken apart, the tire mounting machine
can pinch the tube and damage it before the first pound of air goes in.
Secondly, tubeless tires are built differently than tube-type tires.
Thirdly, the sidewall of a tire is by design the weakest part of the tire,
it is typically two-ply where the tread is four-ply. The sidewall constantly
moves and changes shape, and if there is a tear, then the tear will be even
weaker and a catastrophic failure is all but certain.

At best, a tube will hold air. It will not make the sidewall sufficient to
carry the vehicle. Do not put a tube into a tubeless tire. You have to go to
the tire store to have the tire and rim broken down, so they are the venue
for putting the tube in and they will not do it.