Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.autos,alt.autos.ford

Default Reparing Leak in Tire Side Wall

On Tue, 4 Nov 2014 10:55:19 -0800, "Sasquatch Jones"
wrote:

I have a slow lead in the side wall that came from scraping some kind of sharp object laying by the curb. Looks like a 1/2-inch cut, but jagged. Tire is tubeless radial. Is it possible to patch something like this on the side wall? Patch kits say they are for the tread but don't say specifically not to use them on the side.

2nd thought -- can I put a tube in it? Seems like I remember tire places say tubeless can't be fixed with a tube, but I can't see why not.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help.

SJ

Radial sidewalls are quite fragile -and repairing them is generally
not recommended. A clean puncture is one thing, but a "bruise" is
another. If it has not damaged any cords (unlikely by your
description) a tube MIGHT be acceptable - but it must be a tube made
for radial tires - such as a Michelin AirStop. Even then, heating can
be a problem. I would STRONGLY recommend replacing the tire.