Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] timwoodsemail@gmail.com is offline

Default Too cold? Not enough stirring? Or something else?

Hey guys!

OP back with an update.

Like any dad, woodworking time is limited. So, partly because of lack of time and partly out of hope that the finish would continue to cure, I have made no change to the 2x coats already applied.

The results:
The oily residue has gone. Once I noticed this (1.5 weeks after application), I decided to put the cover back into action. The finish looks great, and I would have no reason for concern other than, the finish still gives off a smell when the radiator gets hot.

I have been careful to air out the room and limit time spent when the odor is strong. BUT I am concerned about 2x things 1) is this odor dangerous 2) dangerous or not it is not pleasant

I have time today. Thinking that the best answer is to

1) remove the aluminum mesh. Remove reflectix reflective lining covering the inside of the top. Top is 4"x32".
2) scuff the finish back with 220
3) wipe with paint thinner to remove dust and any oily residue that may still exist (ie possibly under the lining inside)
4) STIR THE CAN. This is 100% the problem. I'm convinced that the can is fine. The problem was that I did not stir well enough. (I will never make that mistake again.)
5) re coat with final coat indoors (heated/shared basement area)

Any thoughts or tips? The de-construction of mesh (many staples) and lining is not an insignificant task, but I suspect will be worth the effort.